The fantastic weather and beautiful beaches of Florida don’t come without a price. Our location places us right at the center of one of the most active severe storm pathways in the world. Almost every year, Florida residents find themselves putting up shutters, buying supplies, and hunkering down as another hurricane threatens to strike. If you are like the thousands of Florida residents who have experienced property damage due to a hurricane, call the experts at Murray & Associates to ensure you receive fair coverage from your insurance.
How Should I Prepare for a Hurricane?
There are tons of excellent resources out there that outline which supplies you should keep stored and how to secure your home properly. Instead of re-treading that road, we want to make sure you are legally prepared for your insurance claim. With that in mind, keep in mind the following:
Before the Storm
- Review your policy, so you understand what is and what is not covered.
- Get in touch with your agent and compile all the information you need to be ahead of the flood of claims that will come after the store.
- Store all vital documentation (including receipts) in safe and dry conditions, away from flood hazards – preferably in a safe or similar storage device.
- Make an inventory of the parts of your home you think will most likely be damaged by severe weather conditions – this is important because sometimes the damage is not apparent right away, so knowing where to look after a storm can go a long way.
After the Storm
- Contact your insurer right away to start the process.
- Reach out to an attorney or find a broker that can guide you through the claim process.
- Make immediate repairs to avoid further damage to your home – many insurance policies require repairs like roof tarping to be made quickly; otherwise, they could use inaction to justify restricting your claim.
- Keep a claim diary, and do not discard any damaged items until you have checked with your insurer – certain property might be covered that you did not expect.
Want to Learn More About the Insurance Process After Storm or Hurricane Damage in Florida?
Extensive experience, a successful track record, and a stellar reputation position the experts at Murray & Associates as your ideal resource after a crisis. Don't let stingy insurance providers low-ball your claim. Call us today!
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.